Welcome to PracticalStudent.com
This web site is for students and teachers of the practical subjects. Our aim is to have a 'one stop shop' for both the teachers and students of practical subjects to be used for resources and as a study aid.
If you would like to see something specific added to the site or you feel you could contribute in some way then give us a shout at any time : firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate the help.
This website is designed to work in Firefox and Chrome. There are problems with how it looks in Internet Explorer.
- Added a video if the Xs and Os game, or Tic Tac Toe .... same thing really.
- I've created a YouTube video channel. I've been messing with the idea for a while now and have at last decided to bite the bullet. I'm still new to creating videos so I do apologise in advance. Currently I have a video of the manufacture of the Pac-Man and some parts for the 2009 OL JC project. Subscribe if you wish to be updated when I put out a new video and if you do comment, please be kind ... I'm very sensitive !! :) I'll probably notify new videos on Twitter as well.
- Added interactive Ordinary Level Junior Cert Question 1s for 2015 and 2016.
- 2016 Higher Level Junior Cert Project Solidworks files are now available.
- 2016 Ordinary Level Junior Cert Project Solidworks files now available.
- Updated 2016 JC Practical page. Now includes completed model .
All Solidworks files on this site from now on, (all above), are saved in version 2015. If you have not updated and need a way of getting the files to open in an earlier version let me know at email@example.com and I'll sort a solution out for you.
- The Junior Cert. Projects and Practical have been issued. The PDFs are available from examinations.ie. The Projects and Practical pages on this website will appear in the summer.
- Added a page on Electronic and Electric Symbols, as well as an interactive test page for the symbols.
- 17/10/12 - Leaving Cert Engineering Projects and pre-Practical have been issued. Expect them soon in your school. 2013 Pre-Practical , 2013 OL Project, 2013 HL Project.
- 02/10/12 - Added 2012 Junior Cert Practical.
- 01/10/12 - Added 2012 Junior Cert Higher Level Project.
- 01/10/12 - Added 2012 Junior Cert Ordinary Level Project.
- 26/09/12 - Added 2012 Junior Cert Ordinary Level Question 1 Section A Interactive.
- 17/09/12 - Added Leaving Cert. Practical 2012.
- 09/08/12 - Added Leaving Cert. Technical Drawing Ordinary Level solutions to all Building Application questions for 2000 to 2008.
Also added Solidworks models for Building Applications Question 7 for 1992 to 2008. All models for all questions from 1991 to 2008 also updated and improved.
- Added Leaving Cert. Technical Drawing Ordinary Level Paper 1 solutions for 2008.
- Added Leaving Cert. Technical Drawing Ordinary Level Paper 1 solutions for the following years : 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.
- Added 2011 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 2010 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 2000 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1998 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1997 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1996 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1995 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1993 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1991 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1990 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1992 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 2000 Junior Cert. Higher Project.
- Added 1992 Junior Cert. Higher Project.
- Added 1984 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1994 Junior Cert. Ordinary Project.
- Added 1994 Junior Cert Practical.
- Added 1982 Intermediate Certificate Practical.
- Added 1986 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1988 Leaving Cert. Practical.
- Added 1995 Leaving Cert. Ordinary Level Project .
- Added the 1991 Intermediate Certificate Project.
- Experimenting with Flash movies of how to make projects. Currently I have the Pac-Man, and most of the 2002 JC Ordinary Project done. The links are at the bottom of the pages for the project.
These movies take quite a bit of time to make so don't be expecting them to be flying up. I hope to get most of the 1st Year projects and certain JC Ordinary projects that I do in class done over the summer.
I don't currently intend to be making movies for higher level projects as I expect students doing these projects don't have much trouble figuring out how to mark pieces.
I'd love feedback on whether they work in the real world and if there are any improvement suggestions.
- Added 2005 JC Practical Metalwork Exam.
- Updated the Engineering Exam Papers, Questions by Topic page to include 2011 papers. Also increased all image sizes to make viewing the papers easier. ZIP downloads are now also available.
- Added 6 sets of questions on Inventors to the Interactive Quizzes page.
- New Interactive Quizzes. There are only 2 at the moment but more are on the way. These should be helpful for Junior Cert. Metalwork students.
- 1997 JC Practical added. All parts and files.
- 2005 JC Ordinary Level Project added. All parts and files.
- 2010 and 2011 Interactive Metalwork Section A quizzes added.
- 2006 JC Metalwork Practical added. All parts and files.
- 2008 JC Metalwork Practical added. All parts and files.
- 2009 JC Metalwork Practical added. All parts and files.
- 2010 JC Metalwork Practical added. All parts and files.
- 2011 JC Metalwork Practical added. All parts and files.
- It has been discovered that the Technical Graphics game only works in certain browsers, (latest versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera have been tested successfully). It does not work in Internet Explorer 8. This appears to be due to Microsoft's inability to conform to standards with their browsers.
- All Solidworks drawings and associated PDFs have been modified so that part lines are now thicker than dimension lines etc. This should facilitate easier reading of drawings by students.
- There has been an update to the Numbered Metalwork projects, 1, 2 and 3 ..... these projects were a little too small and fiddly for Junior Cycle students so they have been doubled in size. You may wish to re-download these files.
- Metalwork Skills Exams - variety of small test pieces that a student has to make in 40 or 80 minutes.
- Added a fourth category to the Solidworks section, Very Difficult. These will be challenging for good students.
- A third level, (final one for now), has been added to the Technical Graphics game, available here. Feedback or ideas would be appreciated . Bookmark Level 2 or 3 if you wish to save yourself having to go through preceding levels again.
- Added a second level to the game in the TG section mentioned 2 points below. Level 1 available here. You have to complete Level 1 to get to Level 2 :)
- Added some Exercises to the Solidworks section. The exercises are divided into 3 categories, Easy, Medium and Difficult.
- Added a simple game to the Technical Graphics section available here. At the moment it is in the early testing stages. The idea is to test / improve visualisation skills. Currently Level 1 works fine and when all problems are completed it will allow you to move to the Level 2 page, however this page will not work yet, as that's as far as I've got :) I'd be very interested in any feedback you can give me in order to improve game play or if you notice any problems. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.
- Added a new project, the Desk TIdy to Metalwork Projects.
- 2011 Engineering Practical added. Not complete.
- 2011 Engineering Higher and Ordinary project Briefs added.
- 2011 Metalwork Solidworks models added.
- Site updated. Menus now using SSI instead of PHP.
- Adding self assessment pages to the projects.